Tuesday 22 June 2021

Stork surprise


Over the weekend, I visited the Molsbroek near Lokeren in East Flanders, a reserve I've not visited for several years as it is quite a walk from the train station.  I was surprised to find this stork's nest, complete with at least three offspring, since I don't even remember there being a nesting pole before.  The main reason I went there was a singing Great Reed Warbler, which it didn't take me long to hear but then sang from deep within the reeds for at least fifteen minutes.  I was dreading it ending up as a heard-only tick but it eventually climbed up into view and sang in the open for at least another ten minutes before disappearing again.



The reserve houses a colony of Black-headed Gulls, which is always a wonderful auditory experience, as well as a good population of Black-necked Grebes.  Just as enjoyable, though, were the three Honey Buzzards which suddenly appeared circling right above me; two adults and one very ragged looking juvenile.  I got the impression the youngster was just out of the nest and the adults were teaching it how to fly.  The overcast weather wasn't great for odonata but Blue-tailed Damselflies were out in abundance, with mating pairs everywhere.  The females come in three different colour forms and I recently posted a photo of a fairly typical one, but this is the first time I have seen the stunning pink-bodied variety.


BE #202 (Great Reed Warbler)
BRU #108