Wednesday 16 June 2021

Slowing it down (part 2)

I spent my second day in Dourbes nature reserve, probably my favourite place to look for butterflies and one of the best locations in Belgium for them.  Here, at least, there were more butterflies around, albeit in much smaller numbers than I'm used to, and I managed to find 16 species in total. 
First up, was one of my favourites, the exquisite Pearly Heath.


This area is one of the rare places in Belgium which has the aptly named Scarce Swallowtail, a species I've only seen a few times and almost always in flight.  This individual was lingering in a small area of the reserve and looking to land but had obviously been in consultation with yesterday's Wood Warbler as it was just as difficult to photograph.


Much easier was this White-legged Damselfly, which posed nicely for me, adding a bit of variety.


This unusual moth, with its curious wing markings, also grabbed my attention, and it didn't take me long to identify it as Mother Shipton, named after a 16th century Yorkshire witch!


 With a little bit of imagination, you can actually make out a witches face from the pattern on the outstretched, left wing, which is how it got its name.