Friday 18 June 2021

Orchid overload


Since I was mainly looking down for butterflies instead of my usual up, I made some unexpected, additional discoveries and it turned out to be the orchids which were the star of my short trip away.  This was pretty much one of the first things I saw, before most of the butterflies became active, and, although I wasn't sure what it was, I knew I'd never seen anything quite like it before.


It has since been identified as the rare, five-petalled friburgensis variety of Bee Orchid, which usually has just three petals. 
I then discovered this huge spike of flowers with amazingly long lips; yet another species I've not seen before, the Lizard Orchid.



Next up was a field full of the much more expected Greater Butterfly Orchid, a species I've seen there in varying numbers on most of my previous visits.


Finally, and rounding off the day nicely was another orchid I didn't recognise.  Comparing the pictures, I thought it had to be a different species to the first one above but it is actually the commoner, typical form of Bee Orchid, looking just like a female bumble bee in the aim of attracting a male to collect its pollen.