Tuesday 3 March 2020

City birding


Over the weekend, I was in Berlin for a city trip.  Originally, I wasn't planning to do any birding but, once I heard about a suburban lake with resident Red-necked Grebes, I couldn't resist taking my binoculars along since I very rarely get to see this species in breeding plumage.  Sure enough, as soon as I arrived at the Schäfersee, right next to a U-Bahn station, I could hear some very loud calls, a bit like a Water Rail with a megaphone, echoing around the circular lake as the three pairs proclaimed their territories.  I realised I'd never actually heard Red-necked Grebes displaying before, with a pair of displaying Kingfishers as an added, unexpected bonus in this urban setting.  I also tried another city park where some Waxwings had been reported but only managed to find Redwings, my first Fieldfare of the year, and a pair of Hawfinches.  On the second day, I visited Treptower Park along the River Spree, mainly with the intention of seeing Goosander, another species I'd not connected with so far this year.  I found a pair straight away but the woodland provided a wonderful surprise when I located this female Black Woodpecker excavating a nesthole.  I'd first heard the distinctive call and headed towards the source, only for the sound to repeat itself much closer.  Frantically looking around at all the likely trees, I just couldn't locate the bird until I noticed wood chippings raining down on me and realised she was right above me!


The male also came in after a while, as if to inspect her work.


Locating a Black Woodpecker nesthole is a birder's Holy Grail and I've never been able to find one in Brussels.  Overall, though, I was very impressed with just how birdy Berlin is, with a seemingly healthy House Sparrow population and plenty of both Greenfinches and Goldfinches, even in the built-up areas.