Tuesday 25 February 2020

Wet and windy


Pretty much the whole of February has been wet and very windy, which explains the lack of recent updates.  Since my last post, I've only been out birding three times; a short walk in the forest, adding Middle Spotted Woodpecker to my year list, a visit to my Brussels patch, and, last week, a trip to a lake in West Flanders which usually has Bittern.  The Bittern failed to show but this male Goldeneye was hanging out with his Tufted friends and I actually got to see a Cetti's Warbler which I usually have to be content with only hearing.  That was my 110th species of the year and it shouldn't be long now until the first Chiffchaffs arrive, getting spring migration underway.  Despite the first sunny morning in weeks, there was no sign of any in my local park this morning.