Thursday 14 June 2018

Amazonian birding part 2

Having already given up two of their kind, the tinamous have returned to their normal, furtive selves and I've only had brief glimpses of what were probably two more species since my last post. The past four days, I was guiding eleven (!) Thai photographers. They were hard work but one of the nicest groups of people I've guided so I was sorry to see them go. They left very happy with their pictures of White-whiskered Spider-Monkey, Red-handed Howler-Monkey, both otters, Red-fan Parrot and an adult Agami Heron fishing, amongst others.  We even got to see a Greater Yellow-headed Vulture 'skiing' as it slid down the wooden handrail of some steps which lead to our beach, where it then devoured a dead fish. I have a little while before my next group and so am now teaching a newly arrived birding guide all the trails. This morning started off very well with my first lifer of the season; a Southern Nightingale-Wren singing right at the lodge!