Friday 1 June 2018

Amazon bound

Rufous-thighed Kite by David Lang

I'm on my way to the Amazon for my seventh season of guiding at Cristalino Jungle Lodge, where my local bird list stands at a whopping 534 species.  Of course, after a year and a half in total spent in exactly the same place, the law of diminishing returns means that I have very few potential lifers remaining but this Rufous-thighed Kite, a rare austral migrant, was one of 5 new species I managed to see or hear during my 7 weeks there last year.  A few new birds would be nice, therefore, but, this year, I've managed to arrange a stopover in BelĂ©m, to see another part of the Amazon and, hopefully, quite a few different birds.  I'll be updating my blog regularly over the summer about life in the rainforest but won't be able to post any pictures until I get back so I'll leave you with these two wonderful shots taken by one of my groups last year.

Zigzag Heron by David Lang