Wednesday 17 July 2024

Accidental lifer


During my Cranberry Fritillary expedition to the Hautes Fagnes, and since I knew the area was also good for dragonflies, I made a conscious effort to photograph any odonata that would sit still long enough.  There were very few about, however, and this was one of just two species I managed to photograph, the other being a Four-spotted Chaser.  I fully expected this to be yet another common species and tentatively uploaded it to iNaturalist as an Azure Bluet, a species which I see pretty much everywhere, Brussels included.  My identification was soon corrected, however, as this is actually a female Spearhead Bluet or Northern Damselfly, a species which has disappeared from much of its former range and is now very rare in Belgium. 
Now I'm fast running out of new butterfly species to find in Belgium, I should perhaps start working on my odonata list!