Monday 18 May 2020

Confinement birding part 8

After such a successful week the week before last, I'm starting to run out of migrants I can reasonably expect to find in Brussels.  This past week I made two trips into the forest, however, to catch up with a singing Wood Warbler and a pair of Hobby, which look like they might be breeding.  On the way to the Wood Warbler, I spotted this pair of Mandarin Ducks with six very young ducklings.


The Wood Warbler showed extremely well, as opposed to the Hobbies, which were calling the whole time but only one of which allowed me the briefest of glimpses.  I presume the female is already sitting on the nest.  Whilst waiting for them to appear, though, this rather bold Song Thrush kept me entertained by repeatedly coming back to where I was standing in order to catch worms.