Monday 4 May 2020

Confinement birding part 6


I finally made another visit to my Brussels patch last week, the first one since mid-March, but it was unusually quiet.  I only managed to record 38 species whereas my first three visits of the year produced 42, 42 and 41 species, and I'd expect more rather than less species now that most of the migrants have arrived.  This pair of Pochard, a really nice-looking duck, were part of a group of eleven, which is a good number for this time of year.  I presume they were congregating prior to migration so I don't expect them to be there the next time I visit.  The Great Tits nesting on my building are now bringing a constant supply of caterpillars and the local Long-tailed Tits, which seem to be nesting in the same bush as last year, were vigourously chasing a Jay from their territory this morning.  The only surprise of this past week was a Willow Warbler giving some brief bursts of subsong in my neighbouring park.  No doubt a migrant since they do not breed here, it must have been brought down by the rain showers and was gone again the next day.