Monday 20 April 2020

Confinement birding part 4

Shower-time!

It rained on Saturday for the first time in at least four weeks.  My local Woodpigeons really seemed to enjoy it, jostling for position on the most exposed branch possible and turning their underwings up towards the sky.  I never realised they could be such fun to watch but then got thinking that I don't think I've ever seen them bathing so perhaps they only ever take showers.  After the rain had cleared the air of all that nasty birch pollen which had kept me stuck indoors for the past seventeen days, I did a three-hour long walk in the forest and immediately ran into this little fellow.


I was surprised to find one in the middle of the day but maybe it had just come out of hibernation (it still had a leaf stuck onto its rear-end) or was just thirsty and/or looking for worms after the rain.  In any case, it certainly seemed to know where it was going as it trotted right past me along the path.  I didn't find many birds although I did add a distantly singing Willow Warbler to my stagnant year list, the most pleasing sight of the day being this nice patch of bluebells, of which we don't have many and I rarely get to see in bloom like this.