Thursday 26 January 2017

The biggest twitch (part 2)

 
Having seen it so well the previous day, I no longer needed the extra morning I had planned in Hirtshals just in case, and so headed down to Aalborg instead, where I joined birdingpal Vagn Freundlich for a visit to Lille Vildmose.  On the drive in, we already spotted a big group of around 200 Whooper Swans, whilst those on the reserve itself were accompanied by a nice, mixed flock of Taiga Bean, Barnacle, White-fronted and Pink-footed Geese.  It was great to see several hundred Taiga Bean Geese as I'd only ever seen two distant ones in Poland a few years ago and, this time around, I eventually managed to locate a small group of Tundra Bean Geese within the Taiga flock.  A Rough-legged Buzzard and around 70 Icelandic Redshanks were the other highlights before I headed back to Zealand to visit friends in Helsingør.  Here, I had a couple of hours the following morning around the harbour, which was dominated by this wonderful fish sculpture made out of rubbish.


There were also a couple of Eiders, a female Common Scoter, and a few Gannets fishing offshore, before I had to leave for my flight home, very satisfied with my little Danish detour to add Siberian Accentor to my list.