Monday 30 January 2017

Spoilt for choice


This Waxwing, one of a group of four I twitched in the suburbs of Ghent last week, doesn't seem to know which way to turn with so many berries to choose from!  No wonder the birds are still there and have been hanging around the same residential area for at least ten days.  As the cold spell brought several goodies into Brussels, local birders also had plenty of choice, including a male Goldeneye (only my second within Brussels) in Boitsfort and this female Scaup showing very well (my first in Brussels) at Neerpede.


Towards the end of last week, and without trying too hard, I even managed a Brussels day list of 52 species, the highlights being a group of 4 Bullfinches feeding on my regular patch, a Great White Egret, and this Kingfisher fishing in a tiny ice-free pond.