Saturday 11 November 2023

More of Vlieland

As soon as I stepped outside of my hotel, it was obvious there had been a big fall of thrushes, with Blackbirds and Redwings everywhere, plus groups of Redwings and Fieldfare passing overhead.  We also heard several Waxwing calls and it didn't take long until a group of 4 were located feeding in an apple tree, rapidly attracting a small crowd of admirers.


I then moved towards the harbour, having received some tips from a local nature photographer on where to find the Shag which had taken up winter residence there.


I was fairly pleased with my photo, until I bumped into the photographer again, who showed me his!


I also got to see the Little Bunting which had been frequenting the bushes near the harbour, found a late but extremely photogenic Wheatear, and did a short walk through the forest, passing a football pitch which was covered in Redwings, before returning to the bunting on my way back to the ferry, having enjoyed a lovely, late autumn day's birding on Vlieland.