Thursday 5 October 2023

More of Modane (part 3)

So, after two years and two aborted attempts, I finally made it back to the Vallon de l'Orgère at the start of August.  This time the bus was running and a friend from France even joined me for the first day's hike to the Lac de la Partie at 2500m altitude.


Unfortunately, it rained quite a lot while we were up around the lake so we saw no butterflies whatsoever but we did enjoy watching a flock (!) of around a dozen Alpine Accentors, and almost stepped on a White-winged Snowfinch.  The sun was out, however, for our climb up and once we got back down into the valley, so we still managed to see some butterflies, including lots of Damon Blues and my first Marbled, Mnestra's and Common Brassy Ringlets.


On the second day, I concentrated on the valley, adding a few more species and ending on this crazy puddle party at the stream we had walked down the previous day.  A single Common Brassy Ringlet was outnumbered by the many blues - I counted ten different species, including my first Glandon Blue.


By the end of the two days, I'd added 10 new species to my list, with another two photo's of the terribly difficult Pyrgus-skippers still pending identification.