Friday 17 February 2023

Big-nosed bruisers

A few weeks ago, I noticed the peanuts hanging on my balcony were disappearing at a much faster rate than usual and it didn't take long to figure out why.


I'm sure I don't need to tell any of you this is NOT a Ring-necked Parakeet, but its larger cousin, the Alexandrine Parakeet, which also has a well-established breeding population in Brussels and a few other European cities such as Cologne.  The big give-aways are the obvious red shoulder patch and the huge, stonking bill, as well as a noticably longer tail.  It seems they followed the Ring-necked Parakeets from their comunal roost and, now they've worked out there is good stuff to be had on my balcony, word is getting around.  I regularly have eight or more sitting around in the trees waiting and, yesterday, four of them were somehow clinging simultaneously to my bag of peanuts!