Monday 29 November 2021

Grinding halt

My big Belgian year has come to a grinding halt since my last post as I have only managed to add one new species.  It was a good one, though, when some targeted research revealed an abandoned fort in the province of Antwerp to be a breeding site for Barn Owl, a species I've only seen twice before in Belgium, and one of those times it was just the briefest of glimpses.  I arrived at the fort entrance before sunset and waited, with the bird finally appearing at the entrance to its daytime roost after about an hour and thus well after dark, before stretching a little and flying silently off over the fort walls.  I also guided a group around my Brussels patch, with everyone getting to see a Kingfisher in flight as well as admiring the two male Red-crested Pochards present.  Other than though, my only birding has been watching Nuthatches or Great Spotted Woodpeckers from my flat/balcony, not that I'm complaining when you can get views like this without leaving home.


BE #235 (Barn Owl)
BRU #116