Friday 29 October 2021

19 to go!


After the very slow months of August and September, I thought my big Belgian year target of 250 species was probably out of reach but the successful stormy day earlier this month has put me more or less back on track.  Indeed, last week saw me back at the coast again during another storm which produced both Arctic Skua and Guillemot.  Yesterday saw me heading down to Belgian Luxembourg, involving a four-hour round trip, just to add Tree Sparrow to my year list.  This species seems to be disappearing fast from Belgium and is now very hard to find so I went to one of my most reliable sites.  I only managed to see one of them and not very well at that, unlike the above bird photographed some years ago in Yorkshire, but it's another step closer to 250.  Redwings were absolutely everywhere, with good numbers of Fieldfares, and groups of Skylarks seemed to be passing overhead all day long.

BE #231 (Arctic Skua, Guillemot, Tree Sparrow)
BRU #116