Monday 30 November 2020

Record shot?

Record shot is the term we generally use for a terrible photo of a rare bird, just to prove you really did see it, whereas I doubt the above even qualifies as that.  This pale brown blob sitting on the windowledge of a Ghent hospital is my first Crag Martin in Belgium which I succesfully twitched yesterday. This is a very rare bird in Belgium with only four accepted records until this year, and at least another four this autumn as part of an influx which also brought several Pallid Swifts to north-western Europe.  It was actually flying when I arrived but immediately landed and didn't move from this spot for the next hour, although I could see it was actively on the lookout for insects.  Hopefully, its lethargy was more due to the cold, overcast conditions rather than its physical condition.  Typically, just three minutes after the standing around in the cold waiting for it to do something got the better of me and I moved on, it decided to fly again!