Tuesday 6 October 2020

Return of the PGS

On 7 October last year, I discovered a Yellow-browed Warbler aka YBW or PGS in French in my local park.  Having seen and heard several at the coast last week, I was conscious about checking my local park as often as possible just in case lightning should strike twice.  Sure enough, on Sunday morning, during a quick pre-work tour of the park, I again heard the distinctive call and discovered what is almost certainly the same bird, in the very same tree it was in just three days short of a year ago!  This time, I managed to get the news out early enough for other, Brussels-based birders to connect with it, some of whom managed to get photo's.  When I returned to admire it, a 1st-year Pied Flycatcher was in the same tree!  This post was originally going to be called One-day wonder as I had another look yesterday but neither saw nor heard it and so had presumed it had moved on.  Another birder re-found it in a different section of the park, however, and I've just spent another hour watching both it and the Pied Flycatcher on the third day of their Brussels stopover.