Monday 7 September 2020

Red start


September got off to a nice, red start as this handsome Redstart was the very first bird I saw upon my arrival in the nature reserve at Heist during a two-day visit to the coast.  There were lots of Redstarts around as well as several Pied Flycatchers, plus a group of at least seven Wheatear lined up along a fence, accompanied by a Whinchat and Whitethroat.


Despite arriving around midday, I also got to see some migration with groups of 22+3 Spoonbill, 20 Pintail and 6 Grey Heron passing over.  I then moved on to Ostend harbour where I had a go at counting the high-tide roost of Turnstones but gave up when I reached 200 of them, a few of which were still looking snazzy in their breeding plumage.


Hiding amongst them was a lone, and rather early Purple Sandpiper, the confiding nature of the Turnstones allowing for close-up views of both species.


The following morning, I had hoped to do a seawatch but the weather was wrong so all I managed was a distant group of three unidentified ducks.  Instead, I spent some time at the IJzermonding estuary in Nieuwpoort, where I found around a dozen Knot and at least eight Little Egrets, before twitching a juvenile Curlew Sandpiper in the polders.