Thursday 6 August 2020

Doing the Dourbes


Yesterday, I visited Dourbes nature reserve, which was awash with hundreds of Chalkhill Blues.  This has got to my favourite butterfly site in Belgium since it has a great variety of species, and I managed to chalk up a day list of 26 of them, including only my 2nd Scarce Swallowtail in Belgium and my third Purple Hairstreak.  A pair of Honey Buzzards did their best to distract me by floating around right above my head but I only managed one shot since my camera was set up for photographing the blues.


It took me three attempts last year to finally see my first-in-Belgium Weaver's Fritillary here.  There were quite a few of them yesterday but they are one of our smallest fritillaries and never sit still for long, making photographing them quite a challenge.