Sunday 7 June 2020

Cornucopia of buntings

Today, I visited some nondescript arable farmland in Flemish-Brabant which seems to be the chosen sojourn of a second-year, male Pallid Harrier.  I got to see it really well, albeit at a distance, and watch it hunting for around fifteen minutes.  This is only my second in Belgium, the first resulting from a similar twitch to some farmland in Wallonia some six years ago.  Being my first farmland birding of the year, I added a few other species to my year list, including Grey Partridge and heard-only Quail.  There was also a hunting Hobby, an immature Marsh Harrier, Yellowhammer, and lots of Blue-headed Wagtails.


Best of all, though, was the constant singing of both Skylarks and Corn Buntings.  I knew this area was the Belgian stronghold of the latter, but I was amazed by just how many there were, with a different bird singing every 50 metres or so.