Wednesday 1 January 2020

Pygmy New Year


Despite working this morning, I was able to get a few hours of birding in this afternoon to kick start my new year list, starting with our Pygmy Cormorant, which is still in Brussels, having been discovered when it was a 1st-winter two years ago.  I then did a brief tour of my Brussels patch, adding our other rarities of Ferruginous Duck and Red-crested Pochard as well as getting great looks at a fishing Kingfisher, just like I did on 1st January last year.  This Coal Tit is now regularly coming to the handouts provided by the photographers although the confiding Middle Spotted Woodpecker at the same spot seems to have succumbed since it has not been seen for quite a while.  A Peregrine perched on its nestsite in the south of Brussels which I spotted from the tram took my afternoon's and 2020 list to 46 species already!  Happy and birdy/butterfly-y (or even dragonfly-y) New Year to you all!