Friday 29 November 2019

Eilat day 2 (part 1)

Having already been to Israel, and Eilat, 4 times, this holiday was more about relaxed birding and regularly working my temporary patch than chasing after the few highly localised and difficult species I've still not seen.  So, after an early morning walk around Ofira Park with much the same birds as the previous day as well as a noticeable arrival of Chiffchaffs, I headed to the IBRCE, where I met with its director Noam Weiss.  He was extremely helpful and gave me all sorts of tips and directions to find some lifers so that I decided to give some of them a go after all.  I spent the rest of the morning around the reserve, which was rather quiet but nonetheless provided Little Green Bee-Eater, Graceful Prinia and one or two Marsh Sandpipers, and enjoyed watching a mixed flock of winter-plumaged Dunlin and Little Stints feeding right in front of one of the hides.