Tuesday 4 June 2019

Adonis' revenge


Since my last visit was rained off, I made another trip to the south of Belgium this past weekend in the hope of seeing some more butterflies.  This time, I was more successful and managed to identify 14 species, including this beautiful Adonis Blue, which I've only seen once before in Belgium.  It is a recent coloniser from the south and still restricted to just a handful of locations in the very south of the country.  I also got to photograph the similarly rare Red-underwing Skipper, and added a few birds to my year list, including Melodious and Marsh Warblers, plus Spotted Flycatcher.  The most exciting encounter of the day, however, was with a mother Wild Boar and her seven or so piglets which were walking quietly along the trail until they saw me, then skirted around me through the undergrowth before rejoining the trail, with the mother turning round to give me a disparaging look for getting in their way!