Monday 6 May 2019

More happy families

Migration has been plodding along since I last wrote, with a Red Kite going north past my balcony the day after my visit to the coast.  This was not only a new bird for my 'garden' list but also the first time I'd seen one in Brussels, where they're pretty rare, the small Belgian population being restricted to the south-eastern part of the country.  The following week, I was heading to the supermaket through my neighbouring park when I heard a distinctive rattling song which lead me to my first Lesser Whitethroat of the year.  Yesterday, I paid my first visit of the year to the beautiful heathlands on the Dutch border and, despite the cold, showery weather, we got to see a migrating Honey Buzzard as well as my first Swifts of the year.  The local breeders were in full song with Tree Pipits everywhere, several Cuckoos, and a Woodlark displaying right above our heads.  The early starters, on the other hand, are busy finding food for their chicks; we saw a family of recently-fledged Crested Tits and, back in Brussels, these Great Crested Grebe-lets constantly begging for food.