Thursday 21 March 2019

White and black


It's been wet and very windy for the past ten days or so but the sun finally came out again today and the butterflies reacted immediately, with several Holly Blues and this, my first Small White of the year.  Someone else found a female Goosander, a rare species in Brussels, on my patch this morning and I just got there in time to see here before she continued her migration.  Goosander has been recorded there a few times but was new for my personal patch list, which now stands at 107 species.  Things have been progressing very slowly since the Chiffchaffs arrived but a White Wagtail was back on its territory and busy singing today.  I've more or less given up on getting a decent photo of those pesky Long-tailed Tits since they never stop moving, as opposed to this male Blackbird, which posed nicely for its picture.