Sunday 13 January 2019

Blue arrows

Common Kingfisher by Julie Hollinshead

2019, so far at least, seems to be the year of the Kingfisher.  As mentioned in my last post, I already saw one on January 1st, with another on 2nd, and yet another at a third location within Brussels a week later.  Furthermore, they were all perched birds, the one on my patch even seen catching a fish, as opposed to the typical flashes of blue darting across the water one usually gets.  I've mainly been birding within Brussels so far, finding some good local species such as Fieldfare, Hawfinch, Bullfinch (below) and even a Black Woodpecker!  On my one trip outside of Brussels so far this year, I went to a lake I've not visited for a while, getting to see the even more elusive Bittern in flight, as well as a redhead Smew, taking my year list to 75 species.