Friday 21 September 2018

Wot, no birds?


Earlier this week, I did my annual hike across the rolling hills of the Reuland Plateau in Belgian Luxembourg in the hope of seeing Nutcracker.  It was a bit early for them, however, and I didn't get to see any although I did hear what was possibly one calling way off in the distance.  The only migration I saw was a single Marsh Harrier and a group of six Barn Swallows right at the end of the day, and there were very few passerine migrants around too.  The only birds of note were the ones I typically have to go to this part of Belgium for; Tree Sparrow, Red Kite, Eurasian Treecreeper, Common Crossbill and a heard-only Raven.  Thankfully, though, there were still a few butterflies around to liven up the 20km walk.  Some Pale Clouded Yellows took me a while to identify as they just wouldn't sit still, in stark contrast to this Peacock, which is always a pleasure to see, even when part of its wing is missing.