Wednesday 21 February 2018

A tale of two islands (part 2)

To see all the Canarian endemics, one needs to visit Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura and Tenerife.  I thus decided to do a short trip to Fuerteventura to get that island out of the way, so to speak, so that I could concentrate on Tenerife another time.  I was also hoping to see some seabirds from the ferry but the crossing was so rough and windy, with the boat rocking and rolling all over the place, the last thing I felt like doing was going out on deck!  I was, therefore, very relieved to set foot on solid ground and see my guide waiting for me.  Within no time at all, we were in the desert-like habitat of Tindaya plains watching both Houbara Bustards and Cream-coloured Coursers at close range.




These were both lifers and, although not specific to Fuerteventura, are much easier to see there than in North Africa.  My third target was the endemic Fuerteventura Stonechat but the wind had got even worse and the birds were simply hiding.  We tried several likely places and didn't see any, but several singing Lesser Short-toed Larks, a group of Trumpeter Finches by the roadside and four Black-bellied Sandgrouse feeding right next to the car provided some consolation.  Derek certainly knows where to find the local birds so I can recommend using his services if you are visting Fuerteventura.
I'll just have to make another trip as I'd only planned the one day on the island before heading back to Gran Canaria for the rest of my holiday.