Wednesday 16 August 2017

All change


Last week, I just did a little naturalising around Brussels, taking pictures of dragonflies such as this Black-tailed Skimmer.  My current work contract is coming to an end and I didn't really have any plans for the coming month or two until the next one starts.  On my regular patch, however, I came across this Red-crested Pochard, the first in Brussels since January, its coral-pink bill giving it away as a male in eclipse plumage.

  
This is a plumage we don't often get to see here and is also a sign of change, since the males are only in this plumage for a short while after the breeding season.  It turned out to be a good omen since I was contacted over the weekend by Cristalino Jungle Lodge, where I have spent five summer seasons guiding.  They were in desperate need of a guide at extremely short notice so, Monday evening, my flights were confirmed to depart this coming Saturday for another seven weeks in the Amazon!  I'll try to post some regular updates from there but now I need to pack!