Friday 16 June 2017

Blue bonanza (part one)

Since my most wanted bird refused to show, my attention has again turned back to butterflies and so, earlier this week, I returned to the Gaume, at the southernmost point of Belgium.  I was hoping to find some more fritillaries and decided to first visit a reserve which also has Silver-studded Blue, a back-up lifer should the fritillaries not show.  The first blues I saw, however, were totally different and unexpected.


This is Green-underside Blue, which is easy to identify thanks to the very obvious turquoise flush on the underwing.  In fact, almost all the blues which stopped long enough for me to photograph seemed to be this species, which is restricted to a few localities in the very south of Belgium.  Eventually, though, I also found my first Silver-studded Blues.  I had long wondered about its name, until I read that it was due to the silvery centres to the black spots on the underwing which are solid black in most other species with a similar pattern.  Here, first, is a male with its wings open, followed by a female with an arrow pointing to one of her silver studs.