Wednesday 20 July 2016

Brazilian summer part 6

Well, I was wondering what I could possibly write about after last week's ground-cuckoo sighting but its been a crazy, crazy week at Cristalino.  Visiting tour leader Rich Hoyer first found a Black Manakin, a new species for the Alta Floresta region, then spotted my first Striped Cuckoo right outside our dorm.  Not to be outdone, however, I also added a new species to the Cristalino list, as two Green Oropendola's flew past the tower, my guests managing to get some photo's as proof.  That same morning, we also had an immature Harpy Eagle sitting atop a tree for 1.5 hours, followed by a Crested Owl which flew in and landed right above us as we walked one of the trails.  Despite already being here for five weeks, I'm still seeing at least one new species every day; this morning's addition being Reddish Hermit, but who knows what this afternoon will bring!