Tuesday 26 April 2016

The last frontier

Having seen over 400 species in Europe, out of a total of around 450 regularly-occurring species, there are very few places within Europe left for me to visit which would provide more than two or three new birds.  The Spanish steppes, however, did represent a gaping hole in my European list, so I have just returned from a successful 3-day tour with Catalan Bird Tours.  We started in the Llobregat marshes next to Barcelona airport, where this Ashy-headed Wagtail, presumably of the cinereocapilla race, was showing off right in front of the hide.


We then headed up into the rocky hillsides of the Garraf, where we got distant views of a large flock of Rock Sparrows, my first lifer of the trip.  The following two days were spent mainly in the steppes around Lleida, where another five lifers followed in quick succession; Little Bustards displaying at close range, Pin-tailed (as well as Black-bellied) Sandgrouse in flight, at least four singing Dupont's Larks, all of which stubbornly refused to show themselves, several garrulous Great Spotted Cuckoos - my 2200th species in the world!, and five Black Wheatears.  We also spent a long time searching for and eventually finding the recently-split Iberian Green Woodpecker, although, looking back at my notes, I realised I've already seen this in Portugal.  Just as impressive as all the new species, though, was the phenomenal density of Calandra Larks singing all around us, together with Thekla, Crested, Greater Short-toed and Lesser Short-toed Larks.  An Audouin's Gull which drifted over as we had a post-trip drink on the rooftop terrace of a hotel in Sitges was our 132nd species in three days, and I even found time to photograph this beautiful Adonis Blue, one of two new species of butterfly I got to see.