Wednesday 14 October 2015

Balcony birding

I've only managed to add two new species (Rook and Long-tailed Tit) to my balcony list since my last post, although the latter was from within the warmth of my living room as they were feeding together with three Coal Tits in the tree directly opposite which almost touches my balcony.  Identifying things from my balcony is quite difficult as it faces west, meaning most of the migrating birds come from behind my building and aren't visible until they have passed over me and are heading away.  I already have possible Snipe, Goshawk and Peregrine, therefore, as well as numerous passerines, on my unidentified list, together with various heard-only species.  Even balcony birding is not pleasant any more now that the weather has turned cold and grey unusually early, with the first snow showers already noted in the Ardennes.  My only trips out so far this month have been to my patch in the south-east of Brussels, where I saw a migrating group of around 140 White-fronted Geese with a single Shoveler trying to keep up.  Firecrests have again been very conspicuous, and I even got to see one male flaring his crest, which does not happen very often.  My visit there last Friday produced 49 species; nothing really unusual but it was nice to see 7 female Teal lined up on a submerged log.  One doesn't usually give these ducks a second glance as, apart from the green speculum, they appear very drab.  It's only when you get up close, you realise how wonderfully and intricately vermiculated their plumage is.