Monday 14 September 2015

Giant tit attack!

This time last week, I tried some seawatching at the coast.  We'd had strong north-westerlies the previous weekend producing lots of goodies including Sooty Shearwater, Storm Petrel and dozens of skuas yet, despite similar winds, there was just nothing flying. 
After an hour and a half, all I'd managed to see was one Mediterranean Gull, one Little Gull, a few Sandwich Terns, and one juvenile Gannet.  For some reason, I always seem to pick the wrong day for my infrequent seawatches, except for the phenomenal day in September 2004 when I had my lifer Sabine's Gull and Leach's Storm Petrels (five of them!), as well as several Pomarine, Arctic and Great Skuas, Fulmar, 3 Manx Shearwater and a Grey Phalarope all battling their way alongside the pier in Ostend.  That day seemed like centuries ago, however, and I had to make do with this portait of a Lesser Black-backed Gull instead.


The biggest surprise of the day was waiting for me when I got back to Brussels and suddenly noticed this huge wall-painting of a Blue Tit on my way home.  Brussels is well-known for its wall-paintings and all sorts of things have been popping up lately but I was amazed to discover this magnificent, brand new piece of artwork just around the corner.  Kudos to the artist, Steve Locatelli!