Tuesday 5 May 2015

The big 50

No, I'm not quite that old yet!  I had a big morning around my Brussels patch yesterday, ending up with exactly 50 species in a little over four hours.  It started promisingly with at least three Firecrests, a Common Sandpiper showing well, a Barnacle Goose hanging out with the Canadas, and a heard-only Reed Warbler.  After a couple of hours, I noticed I had over 40 species and so decided to do another loop to try for some of the missing ones.  This was a good move as, when I came to a spot I'd already passed on the way in, I suddenly saw this little beauty fly up on to a fence.


This female is only the second Wheatear I've ever seen there, no doubt forced to stop over by Sunday's heavy rain.  Whilst watching her, however, I noticed a second bird flit into the bushes.  Expecting it to be another Wheatear, I was very surprised when it turned out to be a stonking male Whinchat, a very rare passage migrant in Brussels and a new species for my patch list.  He was a bit too far for my camera but I ran down and told a photographer, who ended up with some great pictures
After that, things couldn't really get any better but I also saw the first Swifts of the year and had a wonderful flashback to my childhood when I headed into the forest and stumbled upon a beautiful carpet of bluebells stretching off into the undergrowth.