Tuesday 7 April 2015

Eureka!

I decided to spend last night in the Ardennes in the hope of finally adding Tengmalm's Owl to my Belgian list.  Not long after I started my night-time walk, I heard what I thought was one in the distance but it was very faint and too brief to be sure.  Despite heading in the general direction of where it seemed to come from, I never heard it again, so unfortunately had to leave it as unconfirmed.  Some time later, though, I did get to listen to a Long-eared Owl singing, so my nocturnal wanderings were not in vain. 
This morning, I had a walk around the area to see which diurnal birds were around.  A singing Blackcap greeted me, seeming rather out of place with the thick, overnight, frost around.  There were lots of Fieldfares, Dippers displaying, Willow Tits singing, some bright Yellowhammers, and even a Muskrat gathering nesting material in the river.  Right at the end of the walk, I noticed a tortoiseshell butterfly sunning itself on the path.  My instant reaction now is to take a photo of these, as you can't really differentiate between them in general field conditions and, sure enough, this one turned out to be my first Large Tortoiseshell.  I've been wanting to see this species for several years and have even made a couple of trips especially to no avail so I was not expecting to find one of these, albeit a very worn individual presumably just out of hibernation.  Eureka!