Thursday 19 February 2015

Déjà vu


It was a beautiful day at the coast today and strongly reminiscent of my last visit to the polders, especially when a 600-strong group of White-fronted and Barnacle Geese landed in the flooded meadow right in front of me.  The Zwin nature reserve, despite still being under construction, held a nice little group of Grey Plovers plus one Ringed Plover, and I found 5 clockwork-toy Sanderlings scurrying to and fro on the beach.  Other than that, though, it was exceptionally quiet and I was done by mid-afternoon so I decided to finish the day with a twitch to the four Waxwings in Blankenberge.  They've been in the same residential area for the past two weeks and have attracted a steady flow of birders as they seem to be the only ones of their kind overwintering in Belgium at the moment.  It only took a ten-minute walk from the train station before I found them but, as they were backlit, the only shots I could get were of their distinctive silhouette.